A day in the life of a VRS interpreter
Do you think you know what VRS interpreting is like? If you think it is a rewarding, challenging experience that provides an essential service to many deaf people who otherwise would not have interpreters in many situations, you are correct! The role of an interpreter is the same whether it is online or in person. Online will never replace in person, instead it provides a greater range of options for the Deaf Community where you meet new people every minute.
Your VRS experience
As the largest employer of BSL/English interpreters and translators in the UK, SignVideo can offer comprehensive training and support for both deaf and hearing interpreters and translators new to working in video relay service (VRS), introducing you to this fast-paced and demanding domain, our platform and our systems.
Continuous Professional Development training
In addition, the team offer free Continuous Professional Development (CPD) sessions throughout the year to both staff and freelance interpreters. For staff interpreters, there is the opportunity to gain sufficient CPD points to meet annual registration requirements for the professional registration bodies. All interpreters are able to join a peer support group focussing specifically on the demands that might arise when working in this domain.
All our interpreters:
- Are fully qualified and registered (NRCPD, SRLPDC or equivalent)
- Have native or bilingual proficiency in BSL and English
- Have completed 5-7 years of training
- Have at least 3 years community interpreting experience
- Hold a current DBS Enhanced Disclosure certificate and have met the Baseline Personnel Security Standard
- Are covered by our Professional Indemnity Insurance while working or undertaking an assignment for us
- Have signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement at the start of their employment with us
- Are supported daily by one of our experienced Supervisors
- Are required to complete at least 24 hours of CPD annually
VRS Interpreter Application Form
"*" indicates required fields